There are two common ways of entering into Vietnam: Air access & overland access. However, many tourists can enjoy the sea voyage, especially those departing from Japan, America, as well as Europe.
1. Air access
This is the most convenient way to enter Vietnam. Formalities at Vietnam's international airports are generally smoother than at land borders, as volume of traffic is greater.
Network of Airports in Vietnam
- For both International and Domestic flights: Noi Bai Airport (HAN) (35km northwest of Hanoi), Tan Son Nhat (SGN) (in Ho Chi Minh City), Danang (DAD) (in Danang city).
- For Domestic flights only (North to South): Muong Thanh (in Dien Bien), Son La (in Son La), Cat Bi (in Hai Phong), Vinh (in Nghe An), Phu Bai (in Hue), Pleiku (in Pleiku), Buon Ma Thuot (in Buon Ma Thuot), Cam Ranh (in Nha Trang), Dalat (in Dalat), Can Tho (in Can Tho) and Phu Quoc (in Phu Quoc island).
For international flights
Cities having direct flights to Noi Bai (HAN) and Tan Son Nhat (SGN) airport includes: Bangkok, Beijing, Franfurt, Fukuoka, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Kaohsiung, Kuala Lumpur, Kunming, Manila, Melbourne, Moscow, Osaka, Paris, Phnom Penh, Pusan, Seoul, Siem Reap, Singapore, Sydney, Taipei, Tokyo, Vientiane.
If entering through Danang airport, you can only fly from Bangkok.
If there's no direct flight to Vietnam, the best way is taking a flight to Bangkok or Hong Kong and gets a connecting flight on arrival. You can either stay there several days for leisure (recommended for shopping) before flight to Vietnam. As they are two greatest hubs of Southeast Asia (many flights daily), you can depart at flexible time and have significant savings on ticket prices.
Below are some major airliners flying to and from Vietnam which you can search for information and reservation:Name Website Hub Airline Code
|All Nippon Airways||www.ana.co.jp||Tokyo||NH|
|Cathay Pacific||www.cathaypacific.com||Hong Kong||CX|
|China Southern Airlines||www.cs-air.com||Guangzhou||CZ|
|Malaysia Airlines||www.malaysiaairlines.com||Kuala Lumpur||MH|
|Siem Reap Airways||www.siemreapair.com||Phnom Penh||FT|
2. Overland to Vietnam
Vietnam shares land borders with Cambodia, Laos and China and there're several border crossings open to foreigners with each neighbor, a big improvement on a few years ago.
- From Cambodia
- Bavet (or Moc Bai);
- Kaam Samnor (or Vinh Xuong);
- Phnom Den (or Tinh Bien).
Read more information about these borders at Overland from Cambodia to Vietnam.
- From Laos
- Donsavanh (or Lao Bao);
- Nam Phao (or Cau Treo);
- Nam Can;
- Tay Trang.
Read more information about these borders at Overland from Laos to Vietnam.
- From China
- Youyi Guan (or Huu Nghi Quan - English name is Friendship Pass);
- Hekou (or Lao Cai);
- Dongxing (or Mong Cai).
Read more information about these borders at Overland from China to Vietnam.