The main city of Binh Thuan province, Phan Thiet is a beach town located on the south-eastern coast of Vietnam. Ten years ago, this small fishing community received very few visitors, but today it is well known for its stretch of pristine powder sand beaches and spectacular sand dunes.
Located 200km from Ho Chi Minh City (a three-hour drive), Phan Thiet has become a popular holiday destination for locals and tourists alike who come to explore the golden beaches, colorful harbour, and historic Cham relics. Further to the east of Phan Thiet lies Cape Mui Ne, a glorious 21km arc of sand empty but for coconut palms.
Phan Thiet in brief
- Telephone Code: 062
- Area 7,836.9 sq. km.
- Population: 1,163 thousand habitants (2006)
- Capital: Phan Thiet City.
- Administrative divisions:
- - Districts:Tuy Phong, Bac Binh, Ham Thuan Bac, Ham Thuan Nam, Ham Tan, Duc Linh, Tanh Linh, Phu Quy.
- Ethnic groups:Viet (Kinh), Cham, Hoa, Co Ho,ÂRa Glai.
Binh Thuan Province is located on coast of South Central Vietnam. It shares its border with Ninh Thuan Province to the north-east, Lam Dong Province to the north, Dong Nai Province to the west, Ba Ria- Vung Tau Province to the south-west, East Sea to the east and south-east.
Binh Thuan has three types of topography: mountainous, plain and coastal. The coast longs over 192km with many capes: La Gan, Mui Nho, Mui Rom, Mui Ne, Ke Ga. They create good seaports: La Gan-Phan Ri, Mui Ne- Phan Thiet, La Gi. The Phu Quy District offshore links mainland to Truong Sa Island. The main rivers run through the province are La Ga, Quao, Cong, Dinh.
When to go?
The province lies in the monsoon tropical area with two distinct seasons. The rainy season: from May to October and the dry season: from November to April following year. The annual average temperature varies between 27C and the yearly rainfall is 800mm- 1,500mm.
- Road: Phan Thiet is 200km from Ho Chi Minh City, 247km from Dalat, 250km from Nha Trang and 1,518km from Hanoi. The National Highway 1A passes through Phan Thiet.
- Train: The express train between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City stops Muong Man station.
- Binh Thuan has many forests so that wood, cashew nut processing and handicraft are strong point of province.
- The long coast-side is convenient for sea economy such as fish catching, salt and fish sauce processing, frozen seafood.
- Binh Thuan attracts tourists by lovely landscapes. The mountains lie from west to east and reach beautiful beaches. Famous tourist sites include Phan Thiet, Mui Ne, Doi Duong and Ham Tan.
Coming to there, tourists are able to have leisure activities as swimming, fishing, climbing, yachting, golf playing in many beaches and resorts such as Vinh Hao- Tuy Phong, Hon Rom, Novotel Ocean Dunes, Malibu, Palmira resorts...
- Apart of that, there are many great architectural sites such as Po Sha Nu Tower, Ta Cu Mountain, Hang Pagoda, Cham Royal Family Collection etc.
Binh Thuan has a diversified culture of 30 ethnic groups. The stamp of Sa Huynh and Cham ancient cultures have been preserved include clothes, musical instruments, dances, and singings. The ancient architecture, archaeologic relics, historic vestiges, traditional festivals of Viet, Cham are together for making the special culture of Binh Thuan.